Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wakopa Monument (Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain)
A monument, dedicated on 3 July 1960, is located at the former site of the village of Wakopa in what is now the Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain. A trading post and junction point on the old Boundary Commission Trail, Wakopa was also the site of the first grist mill in the municipality. The municipal council held its first meeting here on 13 January 1883. For a twenty-year period in the early 20th century, it hosted a station of the Great Northern Railway between North Dakota and Brandon.
Wakopa Monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.07257, W99.84095
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Old Wakopa Cemetery / Henderson Family Cemetery (Municipality of Boissevain-Morton)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Harrison Mill and Grain Elevator (Holmfield, Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain)
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 December 2015
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.