Historic Sites of Manitoba: Uppingham School No. 1428 (RM of Springfield)
The Uppingham School District was established in April 1907 and a one-room school operated at NE18-10-8E in the Rural Municipality of Springfield. The district was dissolved in 1965 and its area became part of the Anola Consolidated School District and later the Transcona-Springfield School Division. The former school building was moved to the site of the Anola and District Museum. Daily registers for the school are available at the Archives of Manitoba.
Among the teachers of Uppingham School was Dorothy Elizabeth Balderstone Langton (?-1931).
Vivian West topographic map, 62H/16 West, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Obituary [Dorothy Elizabeth Balderstone Langton (1907-2006)], Winnipeg Free Press, 9 February 2006, page 32.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 February 2014
Back to top of page