This two-storey brick and stone residence on Balmoral Street in Winnipeg was designed by architect George William Northwood and constructed in 1911 by contractor William Wardell Cross for real estate agent Paul Ulrich. It was converted into a boarding house in 1929, owned and used by a chapter of the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity in the 1970s.
Memorable Manitobans: George William Northwood (1877-1959)
Memorable Manitobans: William Wardell Cross (1860-1939)
Paul Ulrich House, 54 Balmoral Street by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, February 2008.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 July 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.