Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tuckwell’s School for Boys / Winnipeg Proprietary School (363 Broadway, Winnipeg)
A private school for boys, operated by A. J. Tuckwell, was situated in a two-storey residence building at the northwest corner of the intersection of Broadway and Carlton Street in Winnipeg. The school’s intention was to prepare boys for a business career, or for further study at St. John’s College, the University of Manitoba, or the Royal Military College at Kingston, Ontario.
Its origins trace to 1888 when it was known as the All Saints Sunday School, located on Donald Street. Known officially as the Winnipeg Proprietary School, it was widely referred to as Tuckwell’s School or Tuckwell’s College. In the early 20th century, its annual enrollment was in the vicinity of 20 boys and Tuckwell did much of the instruction himself, in such subjects as divinity, Latin, French, history, English grammar and literature, spelling, and mathematics. Other teachers included Mr. Tudor, Mr. G. B. Tuson, Mr. Passmore, Mr. Elmes, and Mr. A. E. W. Salt. The student dress code included red and green skullcaps bearing the school’s WPS initials.
The school closed in 1909 after which Tuckwell continued to offer private tutoring. The structure was later used as a boarding house before its final demolition on 2 January 1934. School alumni salvaged bricks from the rubble, keeping some and sending others to those living elsewhere in Canada and abroad.
“Mr. Tuckwell’s boys,” Manitoba Free Press, 23 June 1902, page 7.
“Winnipeg Proprietary School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 August 1904, page 2.
“Winnipeg Proprietary School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 September 1905, page 15.
“Winnipeg Proprietary School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 August 1906, page 8.
“A. J. Tuckwell, prominent Winnipeg educationist, passes away suddenly,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 May 1911, page 1.
““Tucks” was familiar name in 1904,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 January 1933, page 34.
Page revised: 7 May 2015
Back to top of page