Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tremblay School No. 707 (Municipality of Brenda-Waskada)
Tremblay School was established formally in April 1892 and a school building was erected at 34-4-25W in what is now the Municipality of Brenda-Waskada. It was moved in 1909 to NE26-4-25W and closed permanently in 1946, after which the remaining students went to Napinka Consolidated School No. 2369. The district was dissolved in 1959. The wood frame school building, covered in rusty pressed metal sheets, still stands at the site as of late 2021. A monument dedicated on 11 July 1993 stands beside it. Some records for the school are held at the Antler River Museum in Melita.
Among the teachers of Tremblay School were Miss Rhoda Cates (1890), Harry Dewitt, Miss Perrin, Mr. Pope, Mr. Jones, Miss McKey, Miss Ferrain, Miss Dugald, Miss M. Johnston, Miss E. Timby, Miss L. Taylor, Miss Marie White, Miss Jessie Andrews, Miss Neta Slater, Miss Hammond, Miss L. Wall, Miss Leta Ballard, Miss Emily Stoddard, Miss Mae Lee, Miss H. Burchill, Miss Irene Baskier, Miss Aileen Dale, Miss Julia Dyer (1936), Miss McElrea, Mrs. F. Chandler, Miss P. Amey, and Miss S. Brigden.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Century of Living: Hartney, 1882-1982 by Hartney and District Historical Committee, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.H37 Cen]
Bridging Brenda: The History of Brenda Municipality and Area, Volume 1 by Brenda History Committee, 1990, page 127.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 October 2022