Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Transcona School District Centennial Plaque (760 Kildare Avenue East, Winnipeg)

A plaque beside the Winnipeg office of River East Transcona School Division Student Services commemorates the centenary of the founding of the Transcona School District. It is located in the vicinity of the residence of William Colbert where, on 28 March 1879, the district (known originally as the South Springfield School District) was formed. Founding elected members were William Gunn, Jeremiah Gunn, and Robert Black. The monument was unveiled and dedicated in 1979 (The International Year of the Child) by the Transcona-Springfield School Division No. 12 Board of Trustees.

Transcona School District Centennial Plaque

Transcona School District Centennial Plaque (September 2015)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90013, W96.97927
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 2 May 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.