Historic Sites of Manitoba: Toutes Aides School No. 1724 (RM of Lakeshore)
The Toutes Aides School District was organized formally in February 1914 and, during 1915, a one-room schoolhouse was constructed at NW9-29-15W, near Toutes Aides in what is now the Rural Municipality of Lakeshore. In 1936, the district became part of the Lawrence Municipal School District. In the late 1940s, the school was moved closer to the town site and a twelve-foot addition was made to it. After the school closed, the building was used for a time as a tourist information centre. It later stood vacant and was eventually demolished.
Among the teachers of Toutes Aides School were Bernadette Adam (1916), Mr. Crow, Miss Payette, and Imelda Saurette (1938).
“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Opening the Door - The Past Comes Alive, The History of the Rural Municipality of Lawrence by Lawrence Municipality History Committee, 1997, pages 425-426.
We thank Lisa Blake for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 November 2018
Back to top of page