Historic Sites of Manitoba: Touraine Apartments / Whittier Apartments (410 Ellice Avenue, Winnipeg)
This four-storey brick building at the southeast corner of Ellice Avenue and Kennedy Street in Winnipeg was constructed in 1907, based on designs of architect brothers Alexander D. Melville and William N. Melville, for the Inter-Ocean Real Estate Company. Excavation work began on 3 October and construction of the structure, under the oversight of foreman Robert Grant, proceeded rapidly and was nearly finished by the month’s end, and the roof was in place by 8 November. The building measured 120 feet along Ellice and was 50 feet deep. The Ellice frontage and adjacent sides were made of Menomonie sand mould brick (subcontracted to the local firm of Brown & Barker) and trimmed with Bedford stone. The 36 suites inside were furnished by Marshall & Sterns Company and were made ready for occupancy in early January 1908. Construction was completed at a cost of around $75,000.
The Touraine name was used until around November 1939 when it was renamed the Whittier Apartments, remaining so until its demolition in September 1986.
“The Touraine,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 September 1907, page 9.
“Suites to rent,” Manitoba Free Press, 5 November 907, page 2.
“Building and real estate [The building situation],” Manitoba Free Press, 9 November 1907, page 18.
“[In the real estate column Saturday ...],” Manitoba Free Press, 11 November 1907, page 2.
“Apartment buildings and hotels [The Touraine Block],” Manitoba Free Press, 21 November 1907, page 28.
“Lady wanted to share extra... [Advertisement: 62 - Furnished rooms],” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 November 1939, page 17.
“Open house,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 September 1986, page 3.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 9 March 2019
Back to top of page