Historic Sites of Manitoba: Thalberg South School No. 1411 (RM of St. Clements)
The Thalberg School District was established formally in April 1907 and a schoolhouse made of logs operated on ten acres of land located on the southeast corner of the northeast quarter of 19-16-8E in the Rural Municipality of St. Clements. In 1914, a new wood frame schoolhouse replaced the original one and the former building was used as a teacherage. A second classroom was added in 1918, with students in grades 1 and 2 in one room and those in grades 3 to 6 in the other. A dedicated teacherage was also constructed in 1918.
The two-classroom school was destroyed by fire in the early summer of 1935. The following year, a new one-room schoolhouse opened at NW8-16-8E under the control of a renamed Thalberg South School District. Portions of the original district were removed to form the Gull Lake School District and Thalberg North School District, each in its own one-room schoolhouse.
The school closed in June 1966 and its students were bused to Thalberg North School. The district was dissolved in 1968 and its catchment area became part of the Agassiz School Division.
The teachers of Thalberg School / Thalberg South School were Nora S. Furst (1907-1908), Felix Sauer (1908-1911), Karl Karger (1911-1912), Gustave Pfaff (1912-1915), Bertha M. Nauer (1915-1917), Elizabeth R. Mccurdy (1917-1918), Helen G. Macleod (1917-1919), Martha Della Crowe (1918-1920), Marjorie Casey (1920), N. Jean Carey (1920-1921), Ethel Chevard (1920), Kathleen Griffin (1921-1922), Sophie Adamek (1921-1922), Mary M. Gardiner (1922-1924), Mary C. Milovitch (1922-1924), Hazel Dahlgren (1924-1925), Mrs. Marguerite Breland (1924-1925), Eva Schwartz (1925-1926), Annie Wedro (1925-1926), Winnifred Ida Borley (1926-1928), May Jessie Borley (1926-1928), Ethel M. Hicks (1928-1929), Inez M. Boddy (1928-1929), Helen Margaret Stewart (1929-1931), Marjorie E. Sutton (1929-1931), Ruth Joy Davies (1931-1936), Ella Alma Klass (1931-1936), Eugenia Mudry (1936-1939), Anna Zubachek (1939-1940), Alice Demchuk (1940-1942), Alice A. Rempel (1942), Esther H. A. Winter (1943), Margaret Anne Ursel (1944), Esther Anne Brandt (1944-1945), Walter Myron Krykewich (1945), Garnet Robson Hareaud (1946), William Ferens (1947-1949), Audrey May Longbottom (1949-1950), Harry Hryhorka (1950-1951), Michael Nicholas Andrusiak (1951-1952), Henrietta Christine Kloustertow (1952-1953), Peter Jacob Williams (1953-1954), Myrtle Eva Wianiko (1954-1956), Abram Henry Toews (1956-1957), Bernhard Epp (1957-1960), Abe Klassen (1960-1961), Roberta Stevens (1961-1962), Frederick McKim (1962-1965), and Mrs. Lillian Kozak (1965-1966).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
East Side of the Red, 1884-1984 by St. Clements Historical Committee, 1984.
Lac du Bonnet topographic map, 62I/8, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
We thank Brian Lesko and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 January 2023