Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Gull Lake School No. 2269 (RM of St. Clements)

The Gull Lake School District was established formally in June 1936 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE25-16-7E in the Rural Municipality of St. Clements. The school closed in June 1966 and its students were bused to Thalberg North School. The district was dissolved in 1968 and its catchment area became part of the Agassiz School Division. The former school building was sold at auction and used as a private residence. It was later destroyed by fire and another residence was built on its foundation.

The teachers of Gull Lake School were David Alexander Wilson Brown (1936-1937, 1938-1939), Cleta Mildred Van Norman (1937-1938), Margaret Anne Parker (1939-1940), Margaret Anne Ursel (1940-1941, 1942-1943), Marie C. Reckseidler (1941-1942), Anne Eleanor Kowalchuk (1943-1944), Edna G. Caryk (1944-1945), Helen Elaine Koltalo (1945, 1947), Margaret M. Hunter (1946), Thomas Walter Kelly (1947-1948), Susan Letandre (1948-1949), Elizabelh Albina Gmitrowski (1949-1950), Mrs. Myrtle Johnston (1950), Henrietia Christine Klousterboer (1951), Miss Verna Theresa Novakowski (1951-1952), Jean Senicie (1952-1956), Catherine Lesosky (1956-1959), Anne Chrusch (1960), Steve Zasiawny (1960-1965), and Joan Lynn Raw (1965-1966).

Gull Lake School No. 2269

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.40006, W96.49744
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Thalberg South School No. 1411 (RM of St. Clements)

Sources:

Manitoba School Records Collection, Gull Lake School District No. 2269 - Daily Register, GR9480, Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

East Side of the Red, 1884-1984 by St. Clements Historical Committee, 1984.

We thank Brian Lesko for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 20 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.