Historic Sites of Manitoba: Swan Valley School No. 1038 (Municipality of Swan Valley West)
The Swan Valley School District was organized formally in September 1899. At first, classes were held in a log building on the southeast corner of 16-36-28W in what is now the Municipality of Swan Valley West. In 1901, a wood frame building was constructed at SW15-36-28W. It was remodelled and enlarged in 1936. A one-room teacherage was added to the site in 1948 and, in 1951, the schoolhouse was put on a full basement containing a furnace and indoor toilets. It was electrified in December 1952. The school closed in 1967 and the district was dissolved. Its catchment area became part of the Swan Valley School Division. A monument was erected at the former school site by the local Women’s Institute.
Among the teachers of Swan Valley School was Mrs. Lindberg.
School District Formation Files [Swan Valley School District No. 1038], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 August 2017
Back to top of page