Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sts. Vladimir and Olga Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral and Parish Hall (115 McGregor Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Clerics | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Construction of Sts. Vladimir and Olga Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral on McGregor Street in Winnipeg, designed by local architect John N. Semmens, began in 1947 but was delayed by material shortages following the Second World War. It opened in April 1951. Sixteen of the 34 stained glass windows in the sanctuary were the work of artist Leo Mol. The Parish Hall to the north of the Cathedral began life in 1941 as the church. It was converted to its present purpose when the Cathedral was built. In February 2018, both structures became municipally-designated historic buildings.

Clerics

Period

Cleric

1899-1901

Rev. Damaskyn Polivka

1901

Rev. Ivan Zaklynsky

1902

Rev. Basil Zholdak

1902

Rev. Ivan Zaklynsky

1904

Rev. Matthew Hura

1907

Rev. Mykola Strutynsky

1908-1909

Rev. Thomas Wasylewych

1909-1910

Rev. Julian Humecky

1910-1913

Rev. Emilian Krasicky

1913

Rev. Joseph Bala

1913-1914

Rev. Roman Krupa

1914

Rev. Michael Kuzmiak

1914-1917

Rev. Michael Olenchuk

1917-1920

Rev. Peter Oleksiw

1920-1923

Rev. Michael Olenchuk

1923-1924

Rev. Roman Krupa

1924-1930

Rev. Peter Oleksiw

1930-1931

Rev. Ambrose Redkevych

1931-1934

Rev. Myron Krywuckyj

1934-1978

Wasyl “Basil” Kushnir (1893-1979)

1979-?

Rev. Roman Kysilewsky

Photos & Maps

Sts. Vladimir and Olga Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral

Sts. Vladimir and Olga Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral (May 2015)
Source: George Penner

Interior of Sts. Vladimir and Olga Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral

Interior of Sts. Vladimir and Olga Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral (May 2015)
Source: George Penner

Sts. Vladimir and Olga Ukrainian Catholic Parish Hall

Sts. Vladimir and Olga Ukrainian Catholic Parish Hall (April 2017)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Interior of Sts. Vladimir and Olga Ukrainian Catholic Parish Hall

Interior of Sts. Vladimir and Olga Ukrainian Catholic Parish Hall (April 2017)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.91535, W97.14982
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Volodymyr Monument (McGregor Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites

Sources:

Ukrainian Catholic Churches of Winnipeg Archeparchy by Anna Maria Kowcz-Baran, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, 1991.

We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 14 September 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.