Historic Sites of Manitoba: Northern Block (88-92 McGregor Street, Winnipeg)
A two-storey brick building at the southwest corner of McGregor Street and Stella Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Max Zev Blankstein and built in 1911 by day labourers for owner Wasyl [Cherniavsky?] Gerviavsky (1878-?). It measured 84 feet wide and 32.25 feet deep. The original plans of December 1910, which called for eight residential suites on the two above ground levels and a dance hall in the basement, were modified in March 1911, dropping the dance hall in favour of three additional suites. Built with 11 apartment suites, the Northern Block was completed at a cost of about $11,000.
Later demolished, it was replaced in the 1990s by the present structure at 94 McGregor Street, originally a church administrative building for the Sts. Vladimir and Olga Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral and Parish Hall.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 3242/1910, City of Winnipeg Archives.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“Lord Selkirk - West Kildonan community committee,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 February 1993, Neighborhoods North Edition page B5.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 December 2022