Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Peter Dynevor Anglican Church and Cemetery (RM of St. Clements)
This church was designed and built between 1853 and 1854 by stonemason Duncan McRae under the personal direction of Archdeacon William Cockran. The foundation stone was laid on 23 May 1853 by Bishop David Anderson, who gave the church its name. It replaced an earlier one built in 1836 a little to the south of the new site. Stone was quarried from the bank of the Red River for the foundation and walls. The final dimensions measured 70 feet long by 40 feet wide. The church served the Aboriginal settlement of the same name established here in 1834, the first attempt at an Aboriginal agricultural community in Western Canada. It was the home church for Chief Peguis, friend and benefactor to the Selkirk Settlers.
During the restoration of the church in 2002-2003, archaeological work in the ground below the floorboards revealed aboriginal artifacts dating back many centuries. In 1963, the St. Peter Dynevor “Old Stone Church” was designated a Provincial Historic Site by the Historic Sites Advisory Board of Manitoba. Commemorative plaques are located next to the front entrance to the church building.
Located primarily to the south and east of the church, the cemetery contains the remains of many families from small children to Chief Peguis.
St. Peter Dynevor Anglican Church, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 May 2018
Back to top of page