Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Paul’s Methodist Church / St. Paul’s United Church (590 Johnson Street, Boissevain, Municipality of Boissevain-Morton)
By the turn of the twentieth century, many of Manitoba’s small urban centres had grown into solid, prosperous communities. Their buildings reflected that change. Substantial Presbyterian and Methodist churches of brick and stone eventually came to replace earlier wood-frame structures. St. Paul’s United, originally Methodist, is a fine example of these large buildings. Built in 1893, it is one of the foremost representatives of fieldstone construction.
The church is also a fine example of the Gothic Revival style, one of the most commonly used architectural expressions of the age. Edward Lowery, a Winnipeg architect, prepared the design for the building. The stone, lime and sand used to build the walls were drawn from local sources. The construction was undertaken by volunteers from the congregation.
A plaque in front of the church was erected in 1994 by the Manitoba Heritage Council.
Photos & Maps
75th Anniversary (1893-1968): St. Paul’s United Church, Boissevain, Manitoba [undated pamphlet]
St. Paul’s United Church, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 March 2019