Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Paul’s Anglican Church (Alexander, RM of Whitehead)

Link to:
Clerics | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

The first Anglican church services at Alexander, in the Rural Municipality of Whitehead, were held between 1884 and 1887 in the waiting room of the Canadian Pacific Railway station, after which they used the local Presbyterian church. A dedicated wood frame church building was constructed in 1900. Services were held until October 1974 and a fieldstone cairn in front of the church building was installed in 1975. The building was turned over to the Diocese of Brandon in May 1978 and it was eventually renovated into a private residence.

Clerics

Period

Cleric

1884-1887

Rev. Charles Thomas Weatherley

1887-1894

?

1894

Rev. C. Weaver

1894-1897

Rev. William Robertson

1898-1901

Rev. Alfred Cook

1901-1905

Rev. J. F. Cox

1905-1908

Rev. Henry Smith

1908-1910

Rev. F. Davis

1910-1912

Rev. Harrison Hill

1912-1915

Rev. W. A. Brand

1915-1918

Rev. Charles Copeland

1918-1920

Rev. Alfred Birch

1921-1922

Rev. A. S. Dainton

1922-1926

Rev. H. P. Barrett

1926-1932

Rev. Charles G. M. Littler

1933-1934

J. H. Hensley (?-1934)

1935-1941

Rev. L. J. Adams

1941-1943

Lay reader - Miss E. Weller

1943-1944

Rev. A. H. Cummings

1944-1946

Lay readers - Walter Maskell, E. F. Russell

1946-1949

Rev. Alfred Kemp

1949-1952

Douglas Ireland

1952-1953

Fred Lynch

1953-?

Rev. Richard Stephenson

?-?

Rev. C. Rothery

?-1960

Lay reader - Mackenzie Elliott

1960-1961

Rev. Lloyd Gedge

1961-1962

Rev. Edgar Hyett

1963-1968

Rev. J. G. Heald

1968-1974

Rev. James Buck

1974

Lay reader - R. J. Coates

1974

Rev. Robert Calderwood

Photos & Coordinates

The former St. Paul’s Anglican Church and commemorative monument

The former St. Paul’s Anglican Church and commemorative monument (August 2018)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

The former St. Paul’s Anglican Church and commemorative monument

The former St. Paul’s Anglican Church and commemorative monument (August 2020)
Source: George Penner

Site Location (lat/long): N49.83001, W100.29959
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Whitehead Wanderings, 1883-1983 by Whitehead-Alexander Centennial Committee, 1983, pages 10-12.

We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 27 May 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.