The city block at this location was originally subdivided into 20 equal lots. Local merchant James A. Smart purchased the four north lots in 1882 and built a large house on them. In 1899, he sold the lots to Charles Whitehead who, the following year, purchased the remaining 16 lots and hired a Scottish stonemason to construct a stone fence around the entire block. It was up to 1.6 meters high and 40 centimeters wide and the construction took four years to complete. In 1939, the lots south of the house were sold and single-family residences were built. The remains of the fence, a municipally-designated historic site as of 2003, run along the east and south borders of the block.
Stone fence (October 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Gate entrance in the stone fence on the east side (June 2022)
Source: Rose Kuzina
Stone fence on the east side (June 2022)
Source: Rose Kuzina
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.84699, W99.96111
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Charles Whitehead (1836-1919)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Stone Fence, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch
We thank Tim Worth and Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 September 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!