Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. John School No. 2193 (Municipality of Harrison Park)

The St. John School District was organized formally in November 1928, and a school building operated on the northeast quarter of 29-19-22 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of Harrison Park. It closed in 1964 and henceforth students in the area were transported by bus to Oakburn Consolidated School No. 255. The building is no longer present at the site but a monument dedicated on 14 August 1993, and a model of the former school, commemorates it.

Among the teachers of St. John School were Mary Topolnisky (1929-1931, 1932-1933), E. M. Surby (1931-1932), Anne Pradinuik (1933-1934), Steven Galon (1934-1935), Marcia Ewashko (1935-1937, 1943-1950), Anne Luhowy (1937-1939), Mary Melnychuk (1939-1941), Mrs. Phyllis Chopp (1941-1942), Victoria Ziemianski (1941-1942), Stephie Nychek (1942-1943), Martha Drul (1950-1951), Stanley Kokorudz (1951-1953), Larry Kiez (1953-1954), Joyce Luhowy (1954-1955), Evelyn Woychyshen (1955-1956), Walter Manuliak (1956-1958), Miss Nellie Shwaluk (1956-1958), Miss Marlene English (1958-1959), and Miss Olga Kowalchuk (1959).

St. John School

Monument on the site of the former St. John School (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.66155, W100.48553
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

From the Past to the Present, 1898-1987 by Parkland Ukrainian Pioneer Association, circa 1988. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, Rare Book Collection F5648.P36 Fro]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 19 September 2016

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.