Historic Sites of Manitoba: Stirling School No. 1832 (RM of Dufferin)
The Stirling School District was established formally in June 1916 and a one-room, wood frame schoolhouse operated in the northeast quarter of 28-7-6 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Dufferin. The district was dissolved in 1968 and the school building is no longer present at the site.
Among the teachers of Stirling School were Agnes Stirling (1917-1919), G. Russell (1919-1920), E. Stewart (1920), Viola U. Lang (1920-1921), Mrs. E. S. Edwards (1921-1923, 1923-1924, 1925, wife of Mr. J. Edwards), Mr. J. Edwards (1923, 1924-1925, 1926), K. A. Surrey (1926-1927), J. G. Dewar (1927-1928), Ethel Clara Knights (1928-1935), Ethel Georgina Stewart (1935-1936), T. H. Webber (1936-1937), Nellie Irene Bowes (1937-1941), Annie E. Lawson (1942-1944), Margaret Jane Viola Ross (1944-1945), ? (1945-1949), Ruby Gladys Kathleen Gibson (1950o-1956), and Natalie Florence Watt (1956-1966).
St. Claude East topographic map, 62G/9 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba school records collection, Stirling School District No. 1832, GR2085, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 5 December 2018
Back to top of page