Historic Sites of Manitoba: Steiman Block / Merchant’s Hotel (541 Selkirk Avenue, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick building on Selkirk Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by Max Blankstein and built in 1913-1914 for hardware merchant Robert “Bob” Steiman (1873-1953). He operated as the Robert Steiman Company Limited as well as the R. Steiman Hardware and Furniture Company, officially renaming to the Globe Hardware and Furniture Company Limited in July 1923, though other name variations were also used. He maintained a retail store on the main floor and offices on upper levels, with occupants including physicians Dr. J. P. Oshanek and Dr. Bernard J. Ginsburg (1894-1962). In 1933, he converted the building into the Merchant’s Hotel. He retired in 1947, sold the building to John Konosky, and moved to Los Angeles, California. The building was later purchased by the provincial government and is being redeveloped into a multi-use building focused on education with housing and retail components. While the work was underway in early May 2017, it suffered an arson fire.
Death registrations, British Columbia Vital Statistics.
“An unusual event - first annual clearance sale,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 December 1914, page 11.
“Coyote frolics among chimney pots on roof,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 March 1927, page 2.
“For Sale by,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 May 1929, page 2.
“Notice to creditors [In the matter of the bankruptcy of Robert Steiman Limited],” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 August 1935, page 2.
“Mount Carmel Clinic appoints Hechter head,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 February 1936, page 6.
“Introducing to you --- [Great Improvements in Winnipeg Merchants Hotel],” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 July 1939, page 21.
“Mount Carmel Clinic hears annual reports,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 December 1940, page 2.
“Former city man Robert Steiman dies in Vancouver,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 August 1953, page 36.
Companies Office corporation documents (CCA 0059), 405R Robert Steiman Limited, Archives of Manitoba.
541 Selkirk Avenue, Merchants Hotel (Steiman Block), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, February 2013.
Page revised: 3 July 2017
Back to top of page