Historic Sites of Manitoba: Merchant’s Hotel (383 Eveline Street, Selkirk)
The first Merchant’s Hotel on this property in Selkirk was built in 1887 by John Christian Shultz. In 1903, the original building was moved back to make room for this one, designed by Winnipeg architect Samuel Hooper and built in 1904 by day labour. In addition to serving as a hotel, this three-storey building, made of buff brick on a wood frame, has provided space for a bank, barber shop, and pool room. The verandah was added in 1995, duplicating one shown in early photos.
“New hotel,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 April 1904, page 5.
Heritage Buildings of Selkirk, City of Selkirk.
We thank Robert Hill for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 April 2017
Back to top of page