Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: South Plympton Presbyterian Church / South Plympton United Church (RM of Springfield)

A fieldstone cairn stands within the footprint of the former South Plympton United Church building in the Rural Municipality of Springfield. From 1879, Presbyterian and Methodist church services were held in the nearby South Plympton School. In 1897, a Presbyterian Church was built here, becoming a United Church in 1925. The final service was held on 23 July 1972 and the congregation joined with Dugald United Church. The cairn was dedicated on 3 September 1978.

Among the clerics who served at South Plympton Presbyterian Church was David Bell Whimster (early 1880s).

South Plympton United Church commemorative monument

South Plympton United Church commemorative monument (March 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.83666, W96.84332
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 3 August 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.