Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: South Brandon School No. 596 (RM of Whitehead)

The South Brandon School District was organized formally in August 1889 and a school building was erected at SW13-9-20W in the Rural Municipality of Whitehead. In 1951, the original building was replaced by a new structure at a cost of $15,000. The district became part of the Brandon School Division in 1967 and the school closed. The building was moved to the site of Alexander School. A private residence was moved to the school site although the former school barn remained as of the early 1980s. In 1982, a commemorative plaque was erected at the former school site.

The teachers of South Brandon School were Mr. Hamlin (1890), J. B. Morrison (1892), H. Simpson (1895), David Ross (1897), Anne English (1899), Miss Lundy (1900), Miss Greenway (1900), Minnie Leeson (1900), Kate Creighton (1901), Ethel Rea (1902), M. R. Stuart (1903), C. A. Bailey (1904), Jean McConechy (1904), Francis Gillespie (1905), Miss Howden (1906), Lil Hunter (1907), Vera Fawcett (1908), Bertha Pilling (1909), Peggy Buche (1911), Norman Gorrell (1912), Florrie Hillis (1912), Myrtle Code (1912), Alberta Hearn (1913), Miss Crawford (1914), Hazel Conley (1915), Mrs. J. M. Harcus (1915), Miss A. E. Boyd (1916), Myrtle Christie (1917), Agnes Oversby (1918), Eleanor Williamson (1922), Ethel Gardner (1922), Annie Medland (1923), Florence Matthews (1924), Anne Cullins (1926), Miss Mina Radcliffe (1928), Mrs. Jameson (1928), Miss Viola Currie (1929), Edna Robinson (1932), Ila Cannon (1934), Alice Davidson (1936), M. H. Cotton (1937), Phyllis Patmore (1941), Lucy Birks (1942), Peggy Green (1942), Mrs. Ducklow (1943), Doris Gray (1944), Jean Wadsworth (1945), Mrs. Pearson (1946), Annajean Haache (1947), Ruth Turner (1948), Ethel Hurst (1952), Ester Sjovold (1953), Marion McKinley (1954), Marie Williamson (1956), Doris Boleyn (1958), Mary Forster (1959), Gladys Williamson (1961), Gladys Petrie (1962), Margaret Eyre (1964), Miss Jean Kumka (1965), Mrs. Doris Atkinson (1966), and Mrs. Edith Mann (1967).

South Brandon School

South Brandon School (no date) by A. J. Hatcher
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 94.

South Brandon School commemorative plaque

South Brandon School commemorative plaque (April 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.73916, W100.06424
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Whitehead Wanderings, 1883-1983 by Whitehead-Alexander Centennial Committee, 1983. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.W53 Whi]

We thank David McDowell for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 20 June 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.