Historic Sites of Manitoba: Slobinsky Warehouse (24-28 Derby Street, Winnipeg)

This three-storey brick building on Derby Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Max Zev Blankstein and built in 1918 for a wholesale grocery business founded by brothers Abraham Slobinsky and Mandel F. Slobinsky.

Slobinsky Warehouse

Slobinsky Warehouse (May 2022)
Source: Jordan Makichuk

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90817, W97.13704
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Max Zev Blankstein (1874-1931)

Memorable Manitobans: Abraham Slobinsky (1862-1933)

Sources:

“The business man and the government liquor control act,” Manitoba Free Press, 18 June 1923, page 3.

“Abraham Slobinsky, well known Jewish winnipeger, dies,” Manitoba Free Press, 18 June 1923, page 3.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

Max Zev Blankstein, Winnipeg Architecture Foundation.

Max Blankstein: Architect by Murray Peterson, Winnipeg Architecture Foundation, 2022.

This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 4 December 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!