A “ghost sign” is readily apparent in this former United Grain Growers elevator at Silverton, on the CNR Rossburn Subdivision in the Rural Municipality of Riding Mountain West. Built around 1918 by the British America Elevator Company and acquired by National Grain in 1940, the 34,000-bushel elevator was sold to UGG six years later. An older UGG elevator was torn down in 1963 and this elevator was moved to its site, a 65,000-bushel crib annex was built beside it, and the plant was modernized. A new white-and-blue paint job covered over the former UGG graphic and checkerboard pattern, which has been slowly revealed as the newer paint flakes off. Traded to Manitoba Pool in 1974, it was closed on 31 December 1990 and is in private hands now. It is no longer serviced by a railway line. The annex was repainted in UGG colours in August 2019.
Agent / Buyer
United Grain Growers grain elevator at Silverton (1961)
Source: Agricore United Engineering Department, Tom Price (Mgr), provided by Glenn Dickson (University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections)
Former United Grain Growers grain elevator at Silverton (July 1992)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Grain Elevator Inventory, slide 2046.
Former United Grain Growers grain elevator at Silverton (January 2000)
Source: Mike Lisowski
Former United Grain Growers grain elevator at Silverton (September 2014)
Source: Jean McManus
Former United Grain Growers grain elevator at Silverton (May 2016)
Source: Bernadine Brown
Aerial view of former United Grain Growers grain elevator at Silverton (June 2018)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Aerial view of the newly repainted annex of the former United Grain Growers grain elevator at Silverton (August 2019)
Source: Steve Boyko
Former United Grain Growers grain elevator at Silverton (May 2022)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.76643, W101.16312
denoted by symbol on the map above
“Silverton elevator to close,” Russell Banner, 3 April 1990, page 2A.
Page revised: 22 May 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!