Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: United Grain Growers Grain Elevator (Sifton, RM of Dauphin)

Link to:
Agents / Buyers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

United Grain Growers built a grain elevator in Sifton, on the CNR Cowan Subdivision in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin, in 1917. It was destroyed by fire on 26 June 1926. Rather than rebuild it, the company bought the North Star grain elevator in August 1926. It was renovated several times and a 50,000-bushel annex was constructed in 1950. The old elevator was converted to an annex in 1957 and a 66,000-bushel elevator was built. In the 1971 the old elevator-annex was torn down. Closed in 1992, the remaining elevator was demolished in March 1993.

Agents / Buyers

Period

Agent / Buyer

1917-1926

J. Fred Kitt

1926-1937

R. F. Forrester

1937-1945

J. Fred Kitt

1945-1950

Dick Wiebe

1950-1955

Cliff Alguire

1955-1978

Frank MacDonald

1978-1984

Joseph R. “Joe” Price

?-?

Ernie Hanke

?-?

J. R. Malley

?-?

Alious Pizunski

Photos & Coordinates

United Grain Growers grain elevators at Sifton, with the older elevator at right and the newer elevator to its left

United Grain Growers grain elevators at Sifton, with the older elevator at right and the newer elevator to its left (no date)
Source: Agricore United Engineering Department, Tom Price (Mgr), provided by Glenn Dickson (University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections)

United Grain Growers grain elevators at Sifton after being painted in the modern white and blue colours

United Grain Growers grain elevators at Sifton after being painted in the modern white and blue colours (1966)
Source: Agricore United Engineering Department, Tom Price (Mgr), provided by Glenn Dickson (University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections)

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.36068, W100.14445
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Sifton Then and Now by Elsie Lesyk, Dauphin: self-published, 1992.

“Sifton loses elevator” by Dale Barbour, Dauphin Herald, 16 March 1993, page 1.

UGG Fonds, MSS76, Box 60, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 16 January 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | Questions | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.