Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sharpewood School No. 1867 (RM of Fisher)
Sharpewood School District was formally organized in March 1917, and a school opened the next year on the northwest quarter of 22-22-3W in the Rural Municipality of Fisher. It operated until 1944, although the district was not dissolved until April 1967 when its catchment area became part of the Lakeshore School Division. All that remains at the former school site is the concrete foundation for its building.
Among the teachers of Sharpewood School were Miss S. Sigurdson (1918-1919), Helen D. Chataway (May-September 1920), Louise Macaree (April-August 1921), Suzanna Blokland (September-December 1921), May Windsor (April-December 1924), Bertha Barsky (May-December 1925), D. Windsor (March 1926 - December 1927), Miss Edwards (January-December 1928), Miss Burns (spring 1929), Aurora Hordal (September 1929 - December 1931), Julia G. Johnson (spring 1932), L. E. Grace (1932-1933), Katherine Mary Madill (1934-1941), Letitia M. Richardson (1941-1943), Myrtle King (1943-1944), and Miss Blockman (?-?).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The Poplarfield and District Millennium Album, 1900-2000 by Ed Ledohowski, 2000.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Sharpewood School District No. 1867 - Daily Registers, GR11220 , Archives of Manitoba.
Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Sharpewood School District No. 1867 - Cash Book, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.
Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Sharpewood School District No. 1867 - Minute Book, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 11 October 2019
Back to top of page