Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scallion House and Granary (Scallion, RM of Wallace-Woodworth)
These impressive fieldstone buildings, a two-storey residence and squat granary, are located on the southeast quarter of 3-11-26W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth, near the Scallion siding on the CPR Rocanville Subdivision. The siding was named for bachelor brothers James William Scallion and Thomas B. Scallion (1851-1914), who homesteaded at 11-11-26W and, at the time of the 1911 census, were living at this location. The 32-foot by 40-foot granary was built in 1893.
At the time of a visit in May 2013, the residence had significant structural damage, with its north wall all but gone. The granary appears in good general condition.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Cummin’s Rural Directory Map for Manitoba published by the Cummins Map Company, 404 Chambers of Commerce, Winnipeg, 1923. [Copies held by Edward M. Ledohowski and Gordon Goldsborough]
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
Death registration [Thomas Brinsley Scallion], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
3-11-26W, Western Land Grants (1870-1930), Library and Archives Canada.
We thank Mary Anne Clarke and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 August 2021