Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sangster Barn (RM of Langford)

The map location shown for this Historic Site of Manitoba is APPROXIMATE.
If you know its exact location, please contact us at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Around 1981, this barn in the Rural Municipality of Langford was featured in a Manitoba Co-operator series on rural buildings. The original caption for the photograph is given below.

This tall and proud example of Ontario barn styles is found two miles west and one mile south of Neepawa. Measuring an impressive 72 feet in length and 46 feet in breadth, the rare example of vertical siding was built for Mrs. Margaret Sangster in 1914. Alma Banyard, the current owner, reports that Mrs. Sangster was widowed in 1903 but continued the farm with her two children until the son was old enough to take over. He ordered in car-lots of British Columbia fir to construct the barn which features 10-foot ceilings instead of the traditional nine. The frame consists of 10-inch square timbers held together mainly with wooden dowels. The siding is six-inch fir flooring, while the upper floor is constructed of four-inch thick planks that have over the years supported many local barn dances. The Ontario-style ban reflects the original owner’s origins in Eastern Canada and is now used for grain and general farm storage. Please note the two ventilation chimneys at each gable peak, rather than cupolas that decorate most barn roof ridges in the province. This large barn with its spacious storage capacity seems appropriate for the Neepawa area. The Neepawa is a Chippewa word meaning “plenty” or “abundance” and perhaps reflected the fact this area at one time shipped more grain than any other area in Manitoba.

No information is available on the present status of the building.

Sangster Barn

Sangster Barn (circa 1981)
Source: Bob Hainstock

Approximate Site Location (lat/long): N50.21103, W99.52287
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Co-operator Rural Buildings Series

Sources:

This page was prepared by Bob Hainstock, Ed Ledohowski, and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 3 November 2014

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.