Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 90
Manitoba
History

No. 90

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Salisbury School No. 127 (Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne)

The Salisbury School District was established formally in October 1881, and a brick veneer school building operated on the southwest quarter of 20-15-14 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne. It closed in 1967 and henceforth students in the area were transported by bus to Arden Consolidated School No. 341 or Neepawa School No. 126. The former school building remained at the site for some time but has since been replaced by a modern residence building. The school’s name sign, visible in the photo below the chimney, is mounted at the end of the driveway into the site.

Among the teachers of Salisbury School was Mrs. Mildred Kilburn (1957-1962).

Salisbury School

Salisbury School (no date) by C. K. Rogers
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 43.

Salisbury School

The former Salisbury School building with most of its brick veneer missing (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 570.

Salisbury School

Site of the former Salisbury School, with the school sign at the end of the driveway for a private residence now standing there (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.29087, W99.37622
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Salisbury School / Salisbury Morse Place School (795 Prince Rupert Avenue, Winnipeg)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

We thank Paulette Haywood for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 19 February 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.