Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ruby School No. 1081 (RM of Swan River)
The Ruby School District was organized formally in July 1900, named for the nearby Ruby Creek in the Rural Municipality of Swan River, and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW14-34-28W. The school closed permanently in June 1966. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Swan Valley School Division. No vestige of the school remains at the site.
Among the teachers of Ruby School were Miss Laura Latimer (1901-1905), Victor Unruh (1941-1942), Mrs. Clara Stirling (1961), and Miss Anne Unruh (1966).
School District Formation Files [Ruby School District No. 1081], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 March 2015
Back to top of page