Historic Sites of Manitoba: Royal Hotel / 580 Hotel (First Avenue, Binscarth, Municipality of Russell-Binscarth)
A two-storey brick veneer building on First Avenue in Binscarth, in the Municipality of Russell-Binscarth, was built in 1904 for Robert Murdock (c1852-1919) to replace an earlier wood frame building. Originally a three-storey structure, the first floor had an office, dining room, and bar room. On the second floor were 12 bedrooms, a parlour, and smoking room. On the third floor were 15 more bedrooms. Lighting throughout the building was provided by an acetylene gas system and heating came from a furnace in the basement. The third floor was removed in the early 1960s.
After Robert Murdock died, subsequent proprietors included Harold B. Murdock (1919-1948), Sam and Robert “Bob” McBride (1948-1953), Tom Freidy and Art Dunby (?-?), Maurice Didier (?-?), Glen and Lloyd Orsted (?-?), Wilf Turrene (?-1962), Victor J. Torgasows (1962-1965), Mike and Sandra Rychliki and Bill Klowak (1966-1973), Merle and Faye Cunningham (1973-1984), Diane and Ron Girardin (1984-2007), and David and Karen Stubbington (2007-2008).
In later years, the business operated under such names as 580 Hotel (1964-2007, renamed as a promotion for the AM radio frequency of CKY Winnipeg) and Draco Inn (2007-2008). Closed around 2008, the building continues in use as a private residence.
“Binscarth,” Russell Banner, 22 December 1904, page 2.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Death registration [Robert Murdock], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Obituary [Harold Burnice Murdock], Winnipeg Free Press, 9 August 1948, page 16.
“Social and personal,” Shoal Lake Star, 16 September 1948, page 2.
“Four hotels change hands,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 December 1965, page 7.
“Binscarth district news,” Russell Banner, 1 February 1973, page 3.
Obituary [Victor John Torgasows], Winnipeg Free Press, 30 August 1980, page 57.
Binscarth Memories by Binscarth History Committee, 1984, page 32.
“Binscarth news,” Russell Banner, 15 February 1984, page 3.
“Binscarth rejects name change,” Shoal Lake Crossroads, 25 November 1987, page 1.
“Binscarth news,” Russell Banner, 28 June 1989, page 3.
[Congratulations to graduates], Russell Banner, 17 June 2008, page 22.
We thank Rhonda McDougal and Karen Stubbington for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 25 October 2019