Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rossmere School No. 97 (RM of Springfield)
The Rossmere School District was organized formally in April 1880 and a school building, built of logs, operated on the northwest quarter of 15-11-6 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Springfield. It was replaced around 1898 then, in 1950, by the present structure. The school closed in 1963 and remaining students went to Hazelridge Consolidated School No. 1583 or Isbister School No. 500. Two years later, the building was converted into a private residence. A metal sign along the road near the former school building commemorates it.
Teachers who taught at Rossmere School included M. C. Mabee, Hilbert J. Graham, Rosanna Orr, Jean Fleming, Miss Jackson, Mrs. Galloway, Katherine Barr, Marjorie Nicholson, Murial McClymont, Doris Hadaller, and Rhoda May Gibbs Small.
Springfield: 1st Rural Municipality in Manitoba, 1873-1973 by Dugald Women’s Institute, 1974, pages 371-
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Mark and Karen Hanuschuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 January 2019
Back to top of page