Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rosenhoff North School No. 61 (Riverside, RM of Morris)
The Rosenhoff School District was formally established in November 1878 and a school building operated in the northeast quarter of 20-5-1 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Morris. In 1914, the district was consolidated into Rosenort Consolidated School No. 60. However, in 1925, it resumed independent operation in a one-room wood frame building. This structure was replaced between 1945 and 1946 by a two-classroom school. A third classroom was added in 1965 when the Rosenhoff South School, which had closed, was brought to the site. With consolidation in 1967, the three-room school closed and its students went to Rosenort Consolidated School No. 60.
The building is no longer present at the site, which is used as a public park. A commemorative sign at the site was installed by the municipality in 2014.
Among the teachers of Rosenhoff School were Heinrich Enns (1897) and Sebastian Berger Rieger (?-?).
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Aerial photograph A11638-8 , Manitoba Air Photo Library.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 August 2022