Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rosemount School No. 319 (RM of Oakview)
The Rosemount School District was established in December 1883 in what is now the Rural Municipality of Oakview, with a schoolhouse operating at NW36-15-20W as of the following year. The school closed in June 1916 and its district area was divided between Basswood Consolidated School No. 1252 and Newdale Consolidated School No. 431. The former school building was used briefly as a granary then was moved elsewhere on the same half section and converted into a private residence that, as of 1970, was still in use.
The teachers who worked at Rosemount School through the years included Rachael McCallum, May Caldwell, Mr. J. McTavish, Mr. Beckett, John Hamilton, Jim Hamilton, Emma Calvert, Ursie Neil, Bessie Bowen, Miss Sinclair, Belle Proven, Nellie Crawford, O. T. Gamey, James Gamey, Kate Cameron, Ella Playfair, William Tulford, Eva Howarth, Edith Bloomer, Margaret Jones, Elmer Feir, Irene Millar, Martha Jury, and Winona Easson.
Basswood Leaves From the Past, Basswood & District Centennial, 1970. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.B38Bas]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Basswood, 1878-1978: A Century of Living by Basswood and District Historical Book Society, 1980. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.B38 Bas]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 March 2017
Back to top of page