Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Roseisle Presbyterian Church / Roseisle United Church (Roseisle, RM of Dufferin)

Link to:
Clerics | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Between May and June 1891, a small wood-frame Presbyterian Church was constructed by Mr. Hunter of Miami on a two-acre site provided by W. D. B. Boyd in NE20-6-7W in the Rural Municipality of Dufferin. Sermons at an opening service on 21 June 1891 were provided by Mr. McBeth of Carman and Mr. Fraser of Treherne. Four years later, the first burial occurred in a gravestone beside the church. In 1904, building was moved a half mile north to the village of Roseisle. It became a United Church following the 1925 union of Congregational, Methodist, and Presbyterian faiths in Canada. Closed in January 1971, the former church bulding was moved to the Pembina Threshermen’s Museum in 1978. In September 2009, it became a municipally-designated historic site.

Clerics

Period

Cleric

1891-?

Rev. Wilson

?-?

Rev. Mowat

?-?

Rev. Russell

?-?

Mr. Farqueharson

?-?

Rev. Black

1912-1915

John Smith

1915-1918

John W. Fulton

1919-1928

?

1928-1929

Mr. Donaghy

1930-1934

Andrew Moffatt

1934-1941

William Reid

1941-1944

?

1944

Mr. Welsh

1947

Mr. D. Bennett
Mr. Al Haig

?

John Henry Shemilt (1881-1969)

1952

Mr. W. Dixon

Photos & Coordinates

Roseisle United Church

Roseisle United Church (no date)
Source: Ina Bramadat

The former Roseisle United Church, now at the Pembina Threshermen’s Museum

The former Roseisle United Church, now at the Pembina Threshermen’s Museum (June 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Roseisle United Church commemorative monument

Roseisle United Church commemorative monument (2011)
Source: Ina Bramadat

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.50114, W98.34320
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Roseisle Cemetery (RM of Dufferin)

Sources:

Carman Larger Pastoral Charge, Church History.

The Rural Municipality of Dufferin, 1880-1980 by June M. Watson and the History Book Committee, Carman: Rural Municipality of Dufferin, 1982, pages 211-212.

A Study of the Church Buildings in Manitoba of the Congregational, Methodist, Presbyterian and United Churches of Canada by Neil Bingham, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1987, 289 pages.

We thank Ina Bramadat for providing information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 26 July 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.