Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

AGM 2019
MHS
Annual
General
Meeting

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: United Grain Growers Grain Elevator (Rorketon, RM of Lakeshore)

Link to:
Agents / Buyers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

A wooden grain elevator at Rorketon, on the CNR Ste. Rose Subdivision in what is now the Rural Municipality of Lakeshore, was built in 1924 by United Grain Growers. The company cited increasing costs of operation and impending abandonment of the rail line from Ste. Rose du Lac when it closed the elevator in August 1980. It was later demolished.

Agents / Buyers

Period

Agent / Buyer

1924-1925

F. G. Abbott

1925-1930

F. G. Fairwell

1930-1932

Les Adams

1932-1936

Elevator closed

1936-1937

M. Todd

1937-1946

J. H. Spiers

1946-1952

Jack Galloway

1952-1955

Roy McCann

1955-1956

Wally Chittick

1956-1966

Peter Kokura

1966-1972

Peter Onufriechuk

1972-1977

James Carruthers

1977-1980

A. C. Pizunski

Photos & Maps

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Rorketon

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Rorketon (1962)
Source: Agricore United Engineering Department, Tom Price (Mgr), provided by Glenn Dickson (University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections)

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Rorketon

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Rorketon (1972)
Source: Agricore United Engineering Department, Tom Price (Mgr), provided by Glenn Dickson (University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections)

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Rorketon

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Rorketon (1972)
Source: Agricore United Engineering Department, Tom Price (Mgr), provided by Glenn Dickson (University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections)

 

Site Location (lat/long): N51.38872, W99.59148
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Opening the Door: The Past Comes Alive, Rural Municipality of Lawrence by Lawrence Municipality History Committee, 1997, page 246.

United Grain Growers Fonds, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 9 March 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.