Historic Sites of Manitoba: Robson School No. 1163 (Municipality of Swan Valley West)
The Robson School District was established formally in November 1901 and named for municipal Reeve J. W. Robson. A one-room schoolhouse operated at NE28-34-29W in what is now the Municipality of Swan Valley West. It was later moved to NW27-34-29W . The district was dissolved in 1920 and its area was divided between the Durban Consolidated School District No. 1080 and the Benito Consolidated School District No. 1408. The former school building was moved to Benito where it was used as an Anglican church.
Among the teachers who worked at Robson School were Olive Jackson, Phylis Spicer (1919), Cicy Woods, Mrs. Kinley, Miss Watson, Ivy Holden, and Miss McLaughlin.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Lasting Impressions: Historical Sketches of Swan River Valley by Swan Valley Historical Society, 1984, pages 165-166.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 August 2017
Back to top of page