Historic Sites of Manitoba: Riverside School No. 276 (Municipality of Grassland)
The Riverside School District was organized formally in June 1883 and a school building was erected on the southwest quarter of 4-6-19 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Grassland. It was later moved to NW9-6-19W. The district was dissolved in 1962 and its catchment area became part of the Minto Consolidated School District No. 1174. The original building, still at the former school site at the time of a 2021 site visit, including an oil-fueled furnace in an attached room, is a municipally designated heritage building (1998). Its floor has suffered considerable structural damage and the building is open to the elements.
The teachers who worked at Riverside School were Miss Smith (1883-1884), C. L. Gordon (1884-1886), Hugh Davidson (1885-1886), R. L. Ross (1885-1886), Sidney Edward Lang (1886-1887), Maggie Hale (1887-1888), Miss Hall (1888-1889), David Davidson (1889), May Ross (1890), Robert A. King (1890-1891), Joseph Buchanan (1891-1893), Laura Brown (1893-1894), Miss N. Newton (1894), A. L. Wilkie (1894-1895), W. J. McCulloch (1895-1896), R. L. Ross (1896), C. A. Scarrow (1897), Miss Annie Hodnett (1897-1898), Fred C. Miller (1898-1899), Miss Eva Brown (1899-1902), Sidney Clark (1902-1903), Miss Hamilton (1903-1904), J. Henry Dann (1904-1905), Miss Logan (1905-1906), Miss Millar (1906-1908), H. Cottingham (1908-1909), Miss Munro (1909-1910), Miss Martin (1910-1911), Miss Katherine Parker (1911), Percy Hainstock (1911), Miss Lillie Hardy (1911-1913), Miss Sands (1913-1914), Miss Laura L. Fowler (1914-1916), Miss Janet C. McCuaig (1916-1918), Miss Dorothy Flewitt (1918-1920), Miss MacArthur (1920-1921), Miss Coristine (1921-1922), Miss J. Smyth (1922), Miss Ruth Brewster (1923-1924), Miss West (1924), Miss O. M. Grahame (1924), Ernest Dobson (1925-1926), Beatrice Fern Orriss (1926-1927), Miss Forster (1927), Miss Hoar (1928), Miss Finley (1928-1929), B. Haigh (1929-1931), James Edwin Scarrow (1931-1934), Miss E. Marshall (1935-1937), Miss Ina Beattie (1937-1938), Miss Ruth Brydon (1938-1941), Miss Jean Marshall (1941-1943), Phyllis Leadbeater (1943-1944), Mrs. Alice Harold (1944-1945), Miss Muriel Wood (1945-1946), Miss Eileen Wray (1946-1947), Miss Jean Muir (1947-1948), Miss Eileen Laird (1949-1951), Miss Bernice Burton (1951-1952), Miss Donna Minary (1952-1953), Miss Julie King (1953-1955), and Miss Aggie Jean Martin (1955-1956).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Minto Memoirs: 1881-1979 by Minto and District Historical Society, 1979, pages 31-32.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Minto: People of Pride, 1881 to 1998 by Minto History Book Committee, 1998, page 43.
Riverside School, NW 9-6-19W, Minto area, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Manitoba Permit Teachers of World War II, compiled by Louisa Loeb, Winnipeg: Hyperion Press Ltd., 2007.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 January 2022