Construction of River Park commenced in 1891, flourishing until the mid-1930s. The growing use of automobiles, the Great Depression, and urban development caused a gradual abandonment and decay between 1934 and 1941. In February 1942, it was sold and demolished to make way for residential development.
A set of three interpretive plaques describing the development of River Park and the surrounding neighbourhood are located in Elva Fletcher Way at the northwest corner of Osborne Street and Jubilee Avenue, beside an enclosure built to mimic an old streetcar.
Postcard view of pontoon bridge over the Red River to River Park (c1910)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2006-0169
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.85810, W97.12860
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elva Fletcher Way (Osborne Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elm Park (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Happyland (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hyland Park (RM of East St. Paul)
River Park, Closed Canadian Parks
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 May 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.