This private park was established in 1890 by businessman Albert William Austin. Set in a mature stand of elm trees in a meander loop of the Red River, the area was later turned into a residential neighbourhood.
Postcard view of Elm Park (circa 1910)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2007-0140
Pavilion in Elm Park (no date) by Bailey Brothers, Vancouver
Source: David Doss, 2017-0135
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.85260, W97.14045
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Albert William Austin (1857-1934)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elm Park Steel Truss Bridge (Riverdale Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hyland Park (RM of East St. Paul)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Happyland (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: River Park (Osborne Street, Winnipeg)
Elm Park, Closed Canadian Parks
We thank David Doss for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 February 2024
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!