Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Riverdale School No. 323 (Municipality of Pembina)

The Riverdale School District was established in July 1884 and a wood frame school building operated at SE2-2-9W in the Rural Municipality of Pembina. It closed in 1962 as students from this area went to Manitou Consolidated School. The district was dissolved in 1964 and its catchment area became part of the Pembina Valley School Division. A commemorative sign remains at the former school site.

Among the teachers of Riverdale School were Mrs. Mary E. Knight (1905-1906, 1912, 1914-1918, 1920-1922), Edna H. Fields (1908), Edna M. McWilliams (1909), Louise R. Curtis (1910), E. Gladys Price (1911), Leslie Bennett (1911), Nellie Connor (1912-1913), Margaret G. Thompson (1919), Hazel R. Stevens (1923), Pearl Roberts (1924), Bertha M. Shields (1925-1926), Beatrice Frith (1926-1927), A. Jean Wright (1928-1929), Hazel Alma Mae Hutton (1929-1930), Eva May Reynolds (1930-1931), Margaret Hazel Galbraith (1931-1932), Mary Marguerite Sewood (1932-1935), Myrtle Alice Catherine McKitrick (1935-1936), Elsie Smith (1936-1937), Lola Ethel McDowell (1937-1940), Mrs. C. D. Squire (1940), Mildred Enns (1941), Mary Doreen Davidson (1941-1942), Eva Mae Harvey (1942-1944, wife of C. D. Muldrew), Mildred Mabel Ellwood (1944-1945), Sophia Alice Tryhuk (1945-1946), Frances Pearl Sanderson (1946-1947), Jack Alfred Bryson (1947-1948), Elva Fay Ross (1948-1949), John Earle Fargey (1949-1950), Miss R. M. Anderson (1950), Noreen Margaret Yvonne Dudgeon (1950-1951), Floyd R. Checkley (1951), Beryl Lorraine Scharf (1951-1952), Sophy Wiebe (1953-1954), Tina Klassen (1955), Wilfred Paul “Wilf” Schaefer (1955-1957), Jack George Richtik (1957-1958), Mrs. Dorothy A. Gower (1958-1961), and Viola Merle Follis (1961-1962).

Riverdale School

Riverdale School (no date) by G. G. Neufeld
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 28.

The former Riverdale School building

The former Riverdale School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 980.

Riverdale School commemorative sign

Riverdale School commemorative sign (June 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.08902, W98.56062
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Manitoba School Records Collection (GR5330), Riverdale School District No. 323 Daily Registers, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 26 March 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | Questions | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.