Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rhodes School No. 1498 (Municipality of Ethelbert)
The Rhodes School District was organized formally in March 1908, named for local settler Edward Rhodes, and a school building was erected in 1914 on the northeast quarter of 18-29-22 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of Ethelbert. When that original school building was destroyed by fire on 13 April 1933, its replacement was erected on NW8-29-22W, south of Rhodes Church. After the school closed in 1966, the remaining students went to Ethelbert Consolidated School No. 1021. The former school building was converted into a granary but was not present at the time of a 2012 site visit. Only its concrete foundation and a few bricks from its chimney remain.
Among the teachers of Rhodes School were L. J. Symyk (1932-1934) and B. Bilinsky (1964-1965).
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The Ties That Bind: A History of Ethelbert and District by Ethelbert History Book Committee, 1985, page 59.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Cooking With Class: A Century of Community Schools, A 2008 Fundraising Project of the Ethelbert District Community Fund.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 January 2021