Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Regent United Church (Regent, Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)

Link to:
Clerics | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Church services began at Regent on 19 April 1914 in a vacant farm house. A manse was built in 1915. After Regent School was opened in 1916, church services were held there until the Regent Hall was built in 1927. The hall served as a home to church services until the Regent United Church was built in 1957.

The church closed in 1968. The building was purchased by the Evangelical Free Church and moved to Deloraine in 1970. Damaged by flood waters in 2005, it was sold and moved to a farm on Highway 3 east of Boissevain in 2007.

There are plans to install a commemorative plaque for the church on a monument for Regent School that stands near the former church site.

Clerics

Period

Cleric

1915-1917

Rev. T. R. Scott

1917-1922

Rev. Wotton

1922-1923

Rev. T. Constable

1924-1937

Rev. Henry A. Sutton

1938

D. Bruce Johnson

1938

Ian Harvey

1939-1940

Harold Wyman

1940-1943

Rev. W. O. Robinson
Rev. T. W. Bailey

1943

Dr. Wyman

1944-1949

Rev. W. O. Robinson

1950

Rev. W. Crane

1951-1954

Adam Johnson

1955-1958

Rev. G. W. Thompson

1958-1961

Rev. S. H. Brown

1962-1967

Alistair A. Riddell (1930-2021)

Photos & Coordinates

The former Regent United Church

The former Regent United Church (1970)
Source: Larry and Diana Love

Interior of the former Regent United Church

Interior of the former Regent United Church (1970)
Source: Barry More

The former Regent United Church manse

The former Regent United Church manse (1970)
Source: Larry and Diana Love

Moving the former Regent United Church to Deloraine

Moving the former Regent United Church to Deloraine (1970)
Source: Barry More

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.34188, W100.31230
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Our Heritage 1867-1967, compiled by the Regent Women's Institute, 1967. [Manitoba Legislative Library]

Regent Our Heritage 1882-2013 by Barry More, 2014. [Manitoba Legislative Library]

We thank Larry and Diana Love for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Barry More and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 15 March 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.