Historic Sites of Manitoba: Regent School No. 1793 (Regent, Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)
The Regent School District was formally established in May 1915 and a building, constructed at the newly established railway village of Regent, in what is now the Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester, opened in January 1916. The first teacher, Lauretta McEwan of Elgin, taught 21 students for an annual salary of $600. The school closed in June 1959 and its catchment area became part of Deloraine Consolidated School District No. 2448. The district was dissolved in January 1967.
On 28 June 1970, a commemorative monument was unveiled near the site of the former school, in front of the local church. Around 1978, the schoolhouse was moved to Riverside Hill near highway #10. Around 1993, it was moved to a site overlooking the Souris River (about N49.52915, W99.81275) where it was used for a time as a hunting shack.
The teachers of Regent School were Miss Lauretta McEwan (Jan 1916 - 1917), Mabel Notman (1917-1918), Barbara McEwan (1918-1920), Catherine Campbell (1920-1921), Freda Chapman (1921-1923), Irene Stewart (1923-1924), Edith M. Aitken (1924-1925), Esther A. Aitken (1925-1926), Mina Radcliffe (1926 - Mar 1928), Florence McKillop (Apr - Jun 1928), Helen Richardson (Aug 1928 - Mar 1929), Edith A. Fingland (Apr - Jun 1929), Mary Leslie (1929-1930), Miss Margaret Horrocks (1930-1935), Mabel Render (1935-1937), Mary Anderson (1937-1938), Graham Smillie (1938-1939), Albert Brook (1939 - Jan 1940), Donald Lamont (Jan - Jun 1941), Madeline Cassils (Aug 1941 - Jan 1942), Irene Witt (Feb - Jun 1942), Betty Barefoot Gerdis (1942-1945), Eva Godfrey (1945-1946), Merle Hopkins (1946-1947), Evelyn Mullett (1947-1950), Eileen Macdonald (1950-1951), Olive Holden (1951-1952), Gladys Weidenhamer (1952-1953), Margaret Brown (1953-1954), Kay Hunter (1954-1956), Margaret Makinson (1956-1957), Frank Schaak (1957-1958), and Alexander Sytnyk (1958-1959).
Our Heritage by Regent Women’s Institute, c1967, pages 54-55. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.R44 Reg]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Deloraine Scans a Century: 1880-1980 by Deloraine History Book Committee, 1980, pages 146-147.
We thank Lory Saban, Lois Grieve, and Barry More for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 March 2022