Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

AGM 2019
MHS
Annual
General
Meeting

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ravensworth School No. 1185 (RM of Minitonas)

The Ravensworth School District was organized formally in April 1902. A school building operated on land purchased from farmer Paterson Haggerty, on the southeast quarter of 27-35-26 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Minitonas. The first teacher was J. L. Shuttleworth. A fringe of spruce trees around the site was planted in 1909 by teacher Mr. Sizeland, one of which still stands.

The school closed in 1967. The building stood at the site until 18 May 1998 when it was pushed down and burned. A portion of the foundation and the front steps remain at the site, along with a commemorative monument.

Ravensworth School

The first Ravensworth School building (no date) by J. S. Peach
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 73.

Ravensworth School

The second Ravensworth School building (no date) by J. S. Peach
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 73.

Ravensworth School

The former Ravensworth School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 677.

Ravensworth School

The former Ravensworth School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 675.

Ravensworth School Monument

Monument at the former site of Ravensworth School (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N52.02802, W101.08501
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 4 February 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.