Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ravenswood School No. 437 (RM of Dufferin)

When the Ravenswood School District was established formally in 1886, its one-room schoolhouse at NE4-7-6W was situated in the Rural Municipality of Elm River, later part of the RM of Dufferin. In 1919, the district was consolidated with the Graysville Consolidated School District. No vestige of the school remains at the site but a metal sign erected by the Carman/Dufferin Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee commemorates it.

Ravenswood School commemorative sign

Ravenswood School commemorative sign (March 2021)
Source: Art Peers

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.54305, W98.21022
denoted by symbol on the map above


One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

School Bells & Honey Pails: A GPS Tour of Local Country Schools, Dufferin Historical Museum, circa 2011, 74 pages.

We thank Art Peers for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 11 March 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!