The Radway School District was established in April 1913 and, the following year, a one-room schoolhouse was constructed on land donated by Mr. C. de Simencourt at SE15-18-4W in the Rural Municipality of Coldwell. The school was closed sometime after 1959 and the district was dissolved in 1967. Its area became part of the Lakeshore School Division. In 1978, the former school building was moved to Lundar where it was renovated as the clubhouse at the Lundar Golf and Country Club.
Among the teachers who worked at Radway School through the years were Edith A. Robertson (May-August 1914), Victoria J. H. Bowsfield (September-November 1914), Lillian Smith, A. Thomas, C. Kent, K. Leonard, W. Joseph, R. Swanson, A. Kellenan, Helga Sigurdson, L. M. James, L. Jenner, K. Street, S. Nichol, Jean Woods, H. Keyes, F. Cullen, Ivy Murrell, Marjory Hill, M. Young, B. Lee, B. Moore, N. Hall, Ethel Fisher (Howard), Hilda Trower, Fern Bartlett, Mary Richardson, T. Stanbridge, P. Jaworski, Peggy Shearer, Nellie Shaw (Fussey), Margarer Dorothy Florence Bennett Bottrell (c1950), Doreen Giesbrecht, Katiebelle MacDonald (McKnight), Isobel Cheynne, Victor Toews, Julia Sklepowich (Chatfield), Ethel Appleyard, Wilmer Shynkaruk, Helen Maslyk, lngeborg Harm (Fortin), Mrs. Francis Fidler, Susan Telgarski, Mary Penner, Gail Carter, Doris Paley, John Sawatsky, Veronica Richtik, Georgina Watson (Larson), and Mrs. L. M. Jackson.
Former Radway School building (circa 1990)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 255.
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.53661, W97.92272
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Wagons to Wings: History of Lundar and Districts, 1872-1980 compiled by Lundar and District Historical Society, 1980.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Radway School District No. 1675 - Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.
Obituary [Margaret Dorothy Florence Bottrell], Winnipeg Free Press, 17 April 2019.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 December 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!