Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2020

Prairie History No. 1
Prairie
History

No. 1

Manitoba Photographers List
Manitoba
Photographers
List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press
Manitoba
150

MHS YouTube Channel
MHS
YouTube
Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
Manitoba
Bricks
& Blocks

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Quarry Superintendent’s House (Garson, RM of Brokenhead)

The remains of a one-storey house at Garson, built of locally quarried limestone blocks in 1916, was occupied by the Superintendent of the Wallace Sandstone Company. After the company’s mill was destroyed by fire on 22 January 1917 and not rebuilt, the house fell into disuse. Remnants of its massive stone walls remain at the site.

Quarry Superintendent’s House

Quarry Superintendent’s House (no date) by Lewis B. Foote
Source: Garson Then and Now, page 32.

Remains of the Quarry Superintendent’s House

Remains of the Quarry Superintendent’s House (April 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Remains of the Quarry Superintendent’s House

Remains of the Quarry Superintendent’s House (April 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Aerial view of the Quarry Superintendent’s House

Aerial view of the Quarry Superintendent’s House (September 2019)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Remains of the Quarry Superintendent’s House

Remains of the Quarry Superintendent’s House (September 2019)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Remains of the Quarry Superintendent’s House

Remains of the Quarry Superintendent’s House (September 2019)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.07879, W96.69302
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Garson Limestone Quarries and Kilns (Garson, RM of Brokenhead)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba

Sources:

“Inspector at quarry suspended,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 June 1916, page 1.

“Inspector denies wrong-doing at Garson Quarries,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 June 1916, page 5.

“Reported under suspension,” Manitoba Free Press, 8 June 1916, page 5.

“Quarter million blaze at Lyall,” Manitoba Free Press, 23 January 1917, page 17.

Garson Then and Now 1890-1990: Garson and Lyall Manitoba, Prosperity and Garson SD 1375, Garson and District History Book Committee, Derksen Printers, Steinbach, July 1990 [Manitoba Legislative Library]

This page was prepared by Rose Kuzina and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 6 October 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.