Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provencher School No. 997 (Aubigny, RM of Morris)
The Provencher School District was established formally in December 1898 and a school operated in Aubigny in the Rural Municipality of Morris. The initial building was later converted into a private residence and a two-classroom structure was built on the east side of St. Mary’s Road. In 1932, instruction was assumed by three nuns from the Sisters of the Cross Order: Sister Adile, Sister Marie St. Aubin, and Sister Berthe St. Jean, who established a convent in the former church rectory. In 1939, a larger school building was erected on the west side of St. Mary’s, next to the convent. The nuns left Aubigny in 1968 and the school closed in June of that year. In September 2015, a sign commemorating the school was erected at the site.
Morris East topographic map, 62H/6 East, Edition 2 ASE, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Furrows in the Valley: A History of the Municipality and its People compiled by the Morris History Book Committee, edited by Lenore Eidse, 1980.
Aerial photograph A7555-80 , Manitoba Air Photo Library.
We thank Lorna Clark for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 December 2019
Back to top of page